Fistic Descriptions by Date
Vermont Boxing History & International Pugilist Review
Copyright 1997-2017, Robert Winkler

  • June 1, 1928, Memorial Auditorium, Burlington, Vermont
  • Micky "Kid" Williams Win-8 over Young "Iron Man" Goulette
    Micky "Kid" Williams defeated Goulette for the State welterweight title in an eight round semi-final at the new auditorium last night before a thousand boxing fans. Williams and Goulette went at it apache fashion and kept Jack Barrett on the jump throughout the eight rounds. The two lads swung punches from everywhere in Europe and back again, and strange to say most of them landed. If Williams' shoulders had been at all sensitive, he would have taken the count, for Goulette hammered away at the shoulders until they were worn red. Then in the sixth frame Williams five times sent mighty lefts to the Iron Man's jaw shaking him to the foundation but Goulette merely shook them off and staggered in for more. Two judges offered Williams (omit) and the crowd booed for five minutes. However, it must be acknowledged that it was a different Williams in the ring last night. Dropping his role of clown, he got down to business, fought earnestly and proved himself a fine sportsman.
    Burlington Free Press and Times, June 2, 1928, p. 13.

  • November 4, 1931, Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois
  • Bat Battalino, Decision-10 over Earl Mastro
    Bat Battalino, world's featherweight champion, defended his title tonight in a blistering ten-round fight with Earl Mastro, Chicago challenger, winning the decision of the referee and two judges. Battalino, the relentless, fighting Champion, had to fight like a champion to defeat the youthful Chicago challenger. He dropped Mastro twice and sent him reeling into the ropes in another furious exchange, but the Chicagoan was always fighting with desperation, at times out-scoring the champion. Battalino, however, who centered his attack to the body almost from the start, never allowed Mastro to take the play away from him entirely. Battalino floored Mastro with lefts and rights to the jaw in the second round, and when Mastro got up without a count, Battalino sent him reeling into the ropes under another barrage of punches. In the sixth round Battalino dropped the Chicagoan for a count of nine with a terrific smash to the body. The fight was witnessed by 14,000 spectators, with receipts of $40,353.
    Burlington Free Press and Times, November 5, 1931, p. 15.

  • October 18, 1934, Union Street Auditorium, Bennington, Vermont
  • Jackie Flowers KO 6 over "Sailor" Ollie Koski
    Rd 1, Koski floored for count of six. Rds 3 and 4, Koski floored for count of nine. Rd 5, Koski claims "low blow." Club Physician, Dr. John R. Reichling declares "No signs of foul." Dr. Figgie of North Adams is called up. He confirms Reichling's decision. Rd 6 Koski swinging with both fists, floors Flowers for count of four. Flower's plasters Koski with a right. Koski goes down for full count.

  • Slyvester Davis, KO 3 over Kid Jack
    Rd 1, Kid Jack lost his head because Davis failed to break when the referee said to. Kid became angered, and forgot some of the rules of the ring. Rd 2, Kid, losing his temper, is completely "cutboxed" by Davis. Rd 3, Davis hits Kid's "breadbasket," then a left to the mouth. Kid goes down for 8 count before the towel is heaved in by the seconds.
    Bennington Evening Banner, October 19, 1934, p. 6.

  • January 3, 1935, Union Street Auditorium, Bennington, Vermont
  • Tony Celli, TKO 2 over Tommy Pilk
    Tony Celli of Leominster, Massachusetts, won the eight round main bout of the boxing exhibition last night at the Union Street Auditorium over Tommy Pilk of Oneida, New York, in the second round by a technical knockout. Celli corked Pilk with a right cross to the chin in the early moments of the first round and caused Pilk to nearly lose the contest then, as he only managed to drag to his feet as the count of ten was being sounded. Celli again caused Pilk to hit the canvas for the count of eight and as the round was nearly over Pilk again went down for what looked like the finish, but the bell intervened at the count of five. Pilk went to his corner and apparently revived somewhat, started in again only to get in the way of Celli's gloves and go down a couple more times. Again getting to his feet and swinging hard but not too accurately, he crashed into a swing of Celli's that sent him down and as the referee started to drone off the count Pilk's seconds heaved in the towel acknowledging defeat. Celli gave a fine exhibition of boxing skill and hard hitting from short traveling blows. He seemed much faster than on the night when he fought Tony Benitio and he also had his blows accurately timed. Pilk, who was reported to have recently gained decisions over Babe Risko and Johnny Nelson, proved an easy opponent for the Bay State Italian.
    The Bennington Evening Banner, January 4, 1935, p. 6.

  • March 1, 1935, Madison Square Garden, New York
  • Lou Ambers the "Herkimer Hurricane," Decision-15 over Sammy Fuller
    As a consequence of blowing down the latest obstacle in his path to lightweight fistic fame, Lou Ambers, the youthful "Herkimer Hurricane," today has a clear claim to a match with Barney Ross, king of the 135 pounders, so far as the official boxing family of New York is concerned. Rated the No. 1 championship contender in this state sometime ago, Ambers made the solemn commissioners of the fistic game look very good indeed by the thorough, convincing manner in which he plastered rugged Sammy Fuller of Boston in 15 brisk rounds in Madison Square Garden last night. Ambers failed to show sufficient punching power to dislodge the chunky Boston Italian from his feet but the flashy up-state boxer had his opponent dizzy from a two-fist fire, from start to finish. Ambers, on the Associated Press score sheet, took 12 rounds, all except the third, seventh and 15th, and satisfied a crowd of 10,000 that he is one of the best lightweight prospects developed in years, despite the fact he is only 20 years old and has had less than 50 professional fights. Last night's match was only his second appearance in a main go at the Garden. Ambers will be offered a match with Tony Canzoneri, former holder of the lightweight title, but may refuse it in preference to waiting for an outdoor match with Barney Ross for the title. The Garden, which has Ambers under contract, wants to pair Lou with Tony March 22 or 29. The offer may be too attractive for Ambers and his handlers to turn down, especially as they are confident Canzoneri can be taken by the "Hurricane." Ambers weathered a stormy last round in whipping Fuller, who rallied unexpectedly in the 15th to rock Lou with several robust right handers and open a gash under the youngster's left eye. Up to that point, however, Ambers had an overwhelming margin on points, piled up through the busy use of his whip-like left and a right-cross that had Sammy baffled, beaten and in retreat most of the time. Fuller made it interesting for the first half dozen rounds but thereafter was outspeeded, outboxed and outsmarted by his young rival.
    The Barre Daily Times, March 2, 1935, p. 2.

  • March 15, 1935, New York
  • Primo Carnera, TKO-9 over Ray Impellitiere
    The "old guard" of heavyweight contenders stands fast. On the heels of Max Schmeling's decisive victories over such rising stars as Walter Neusel and Steve Hamas, another former world's champion, Primo Carnera, has hit the comeback trail with a technical knockout in nine rounds over fistiana's now exploded "mystery man," Ray Impellitiere, taller than Primo but not quite so heavy. This succession of events has cut the field of possible challengers to Max Baer's reign as heavyweight champion to five...Carnera, Schmeling, Art Lasky, Jimmy Braddock and Joe Louis, the Detroit negro slugger. Lasky and Braddock will settle their personal difference in Madison Square Garden next Friday night, cutting another member off the list. Carnera is slated to meet the winner and, if the Garden can swing it, Schmeling will take on the ultimate survivor. There is no place for Louis in this program but the negro may make one with his fists before the summer is out. Carnera, relieved of the world title and stopped in 11 rounds by Baer last June, fought a well-planned battle against Impellitiere, finally cutting down the Cold Springs, New York giant after 38 seconds of fighting in the ninth. Referee Jack Dempsey stepped in to halt the bout just as Harry Lenny, the "Imp's" manager, rushed into the ring to save his charge from further punishment.
    The Barre Daily Times, March 16, 1935, p. 2.

  • March 29, 1935, Detroit, Michigan
  • Joe Louis, Outpointed-10, Natie Brown
    The sagging stocks in the prize fight market bounded upward on a wave of speculation today over the new two-fisted menace in the heavyweight ranks, Brown Bomber Joe Louis, who turned in his 17th straight ring victory last night by dealing out a terrific beating to Natie Brown of Washington. The 20-year old negro battler from Detroit's Mulberry street, who turned in his first paid performance in the glove game last July, did not succeed in adding Brown to his list of 13 knockout victims, but he won every one of the 10 rounds, and convinced a lot of fight experts at the ringside that he was one of the biggest threats among the heavyweight title contenders. Louis is booked for a bout with Primo Carnera in New York in June, but his managers expect to let him put a few more fights under his belt this spring before he makes his New York debut against the former title holder. Shifting his 196 pounds around the ring with lightning speed, Louis dropped Brown for a nine count with a smashing left hook in the first round and from then on, he had everything practically his own way. Twice Brown sought refuge outside of the rope to dodge the hammering attack of Louis' gloves, and each time he refused to return to the ring until Louis had moved away. Louis came out of the fight unmarked, but Brown had cuts over both eyes which sent blood streaming down his face. Brown carried Louis to the ropes once or twice, but inflicted no damage.
    The Barre Daily Times, March 30, 1935, p. 2.

  • April 10, 1935, Aldrich Hall, Graniteville (Vermont)
  • Ray Teja, KO-1 over Wildcat Weeks
    Ray Teja, East Barre welterweight, hung a right hook on the chin of Wildcat Weeks, highly rated boxer from Camp Wildwood at Woodsville, New Hampshire, in the first round of the main bout of a boxing show presented (this) evening at the Aldrich Hall in Graniteville. Weeks went down and was counted out, the knockout being the fourth of the evening. Weeks was a clever boxer and he rattled Teja's teeth with several nice straight lefts before he made the mistake of trying to mix things with the East Barre slugger and brought the bout to a rapid finish.
  • Roger Fournier KO-3 over Kid Baker
    Roger Fournier of Websterville took three rounds to knock out Kid Baker of Camp Wildwood in the semi-final, which was featured by stiff slugging all the way.
  • Sid Jarvis KO-3 over Ray Audette
    Sid Jarvis of East Barre had his hands full with Ray Audette of Graniteville for three rounds and then put over a sleep producer for the second kayo of the evening.
  • Kid Campo KO-3 over Al Schmelling
    Kid Campo of Graniteville, a terrific slugger, packed too much dynamite for Al Schmelling of East Barre and he connected in the third also for a knockout.
    Barre Daily Times, April 11, 1935, p. 2.

  • May 9, 1935, Granite Street Hall, Barre, Vermont
  • Jack Reno, Decision 8 over Bobby Simpson
    Reno was a wild southpaw and his unorthodox stance bothered the New Hampshire boxer. There were very few heavy blows during the eight rounds. Reno relied on slaps to the ribs and a rabbit punch, that should have brought disqualification, (but) coupled with his aggressiveness (brought) him a win. Simpson showed some clean boxing ability and cut some nice hooks to Reno's mid-riff, but he did not crowd in enough to take the award. There was no knockdowns.
    Barre Daily Times, May 10, 1935, p. 2.

    From "In The Forests" byline, 1217th Company CCC Ricker Mills. Jack Reno, a member of this camp and former amateur Lightweight Champion of New Jersey, remained undefeated after his 13th fight in Vermont when he handed his latest opponent, Bobby Simpson, an artistic lacing in eight rounds at the Granite Street Hall in Barre. This match featured an evening of glove slinging in which enrollees of the 1217th held the spotlight.
    Barre Daily Times, May 14, 1935, p. 2.

  • May 24, 1935, Granite Street Hall, Barre, Vermont
  • Jack Reno, Decision 8 over Ray Teja
    Reno had Teja very tired before the end of the fight but displayed nothing heavy in the way of artillery. Teja bored into the CCC boxer in the first two rounds and landed some hard shots to the body and head. After that, Teja made the mistake of waiting for an opening and Reno started scoring with his right hand and with Teja backing away tossed in enough lefts to start Teja's nose bleeding. Reno showed no inclination to mix in the tough spots and boxed continuously, wearing Teja down and landing some heavy shots to the head in the 7th round. Teja although badly tired, crowded Reno in the final round but he had no smoke left in his gloves and the Ricker Mills boy easily took the award.
    Barre Daily Times, May 25, 1935, p. 2.

  • August 7, 1935, Comiskey Park, Chicago, Illinois
  • Joe Louis, KO 2 over King Levinsky
    King Levinsky tonight went the way of all flesh that has contacted the lethal blows of Joe Louis, Detroit's sensational brown bomber. After two minutes and 21 seconds of fighting, Levinsky, battered to the floor three times, squatted on the ropes of the ring and pleaded for mercy. Chicago's glorified ex-fish peddler, hopelessly beaten in those exciting two minutes, sat on the bottom rope of the ring in a neutral corner, and appealed to Norman McGarrity to stop the battle. "Don't let him hit me again. I am through," Levinsky pleaded through chalk-like lips. Louis, fighting savagely from the start, stood immobile in midring, waiting for Levinsky to get up as he gazed into the far recesses of Comiskey Park, home of the White Sox, that held 40,000 bewildered spectators. Referee McGarrity took the beaten Levinsky by the arm and helped him to his corner and into the arms of his stunned handlers. Thus the battle, scheduled to go ten rounds, ended.
    Burlington Free Press, August 8, 1935, p. 15.