Art Weigand

Light heavyweight 1922-1931

Won 48 Lost 26 Draw 12 KO’s 17



            Art Weigand was born on Buffalo’s eastside on May 6th, 1905 of German decent. He began his boxing career as a simon pure at the age of 16. Weigand was a sensation as an amateur where he knocked out 29 out of his 37 adversaries. During a Niagara Association AAU championship tournament in Oriole Hall on Genesee St. in 1921, Art won three matches in one night to win the 135lb class. The way he won was even more astounding, three knockouts in a total of 75 seconds! The first opponent went out in 35 seconds, the next in 28 seconds, and the third in 12 seconds. Joe and Buddy Ridley at their Lovejoy gym trained Art at the time.

            At the age of 17, Art turned professional and showed that his amateur knockout power was no fluke. His first pro fight against Ray Campbell at the Broadway Auditorium ended in just 45 seconds. In 1924, Weigand set another knockout record by stopping Chief Halftown in 18 seconds at the Broadway Aud.

            By 1925, Weigand was starting to take on the World’s best middle and light heavyweights. In June he defeated the “Beast” Battling Siki in six rounds. Then followed up with a draw against the great Jock Malone. Malone declared after the fight that Weigand was one of the hardest hitters he had ever met and by far the best southpaw. “He will beat many a good man and with youth and strength in his favor, and his clean living manner, ought to rise to the top in a few years”, said Malone. Art’s third straight fight against a world class fighter came in August of 1925 against former light heavyweight champion, Mike McTigue. The Buffalo News reported at the time; “It was probably one of the toughest scraps Weigand ever had and the former champion was extermely fortunate to squirm through a draw decision”. These bouts earned Art a top ten ranking as a middleweight for 1925.

            At the start of 1926, Weigand would be matched with top contender and future champion, Maxie Rosenbloom, at the Broadway Aud. Art’s thunderous body punches earned him a deserved six round decision. In June of 1926 he met the legendary, Harry Greb, also at the Broadway Aud. The Buffalo News reported; “Weigand needed no alibi for his defeat. He fought courageously against the talented Greb and was more than holding his own until a badly-cut lip in the 6th round, handicapped the eastsider”. Seven wins, 1 draw, and the lone loss to Greb earned Art a top ten ranking as a light heavyweight for 1926.

            In March of 1927, Art fought another “legend”, Young Stribling, who brought his 133-7-14 record to Buffalo. Weigand fought from the fourth round with a deep gash on his upper lip and a cut eye. The referee stopped the bout in the seventh round. Later Stribling would tell a promoter that Weigand hit him on the jaw in the third round, the hardest punch he ever received.

            Art would continue fighting until 1931 but never had a world title opportunity. He fought the best of the era and backed away from no one.

            After retiring, Art would train boxers at the CYO in Saint Ann’s. He also coached youths for the Golden Gloves with Monsignor Kelliher.

            Tonight, Ring #44 is proud to induct Art Weigand in the 2004 Buffalo Boxing Hall of Fame.